Michael A. Stecker
Demolition of the 63-year-old
former Samuel C. Mumford High School on the campus located at 17525
Wyoming Street in northwest Detroit started on July 24, 2012 . It
will take demolition crews approximately nine weeks to level the
240,273-square-foot Art Deco style structure that was built in 1949.
The DPS Capital Improvement Program is in the third and final year of construction, demolition and improvement projects. Demolition at Robeson and the old Mackenzie schools began this summer. The program also included demolition of seven other closed schools including the old Earhart, Chadsey, Munger, Gompers, Finney, Martin Luther King Jr. schools, and Cass Tech. Program manager for the Bond Construction Program is Walbridge Joint Venture, which includes Brailsford & Dunlavey, Walbridge, and Fanning Howey. Detroit voters approved Proposal S in November 2009 which enabled the district to access $500.5 million for school capital improvement projects. The improvement program also includes technology upgrades and security initiatives being funded with Proposal S dollars. To comply with federal guidelines, all bond dollars must be spent within three years and all projects must be completed by September 2012.