University Hall was completed in 1873.
It contained offices of administration, a large auditorium and classrooms.
It was razed in 1951.
North Wing or Mason Hall, part of which is visible at the left,
was the first university building, erected in 1841. South Wing or South
College, at the right, was built in 1849. The central domed section was
completed in 1873.
Mason Hall, c. 1860
photo edited from: Bentley Image Bank
Mason Hall, first University building devoted to
instruction was known as the "University Building" upon completion in 1841
in time for fall classes. It was both dormitory and classroom facility. It
was re-named after Governor Stevens T. Mason in 1843. In 1856 the central
part of the North Wing was renovated to house the University Library and
Museum. A similar building was erected to the South. University Hall
(built 1871-1873) connected the two buildings, which then were referred to
as South Wing and North Wing. Thomas Jefferson statue on far right of
Mason Hall, South Wing and University Hall were removed in 1950.