Saint George Cathedral in Lviv Ukraine
Constructed between 1746-1762, St. George Cathedral, is on a hill of the
same name overlooking the city. This is the third manifestation of a
church to inhabit the site since the 13th century, and its prominence has
repeatedly made it a target for invaders and vandals. During the
19th and 20th centuries, the cathedral served as the mother church of the
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. The most precious relic of the
church is the Wonder-working Icon of the Virgin Mary (17th century). It
was brought to Lviv from Terebovl in 1674 by bishop Joseph Shumlianskyi.
The architectural ensemble of St. George's Cathedral also includes a
belfry, the Baroque
Metropolitan Palace and chapter house, as well as a garden, enclosed
behind two gates.